Friday, July 24, 2009

Where in the world is Kenya?

I desirer to use this blog to inform my prayer partners how they might affectively pray for me and the people of Kenya. Therefore I wanted to share some general information about Kenya. I first must admit I have seen those Jaywalking videos by Leno so I realize this info might be new to a special few (I was recently asked if Kenya was in South America...uh yep).

The country of Kenya is in Southeast Africa (hopefully the map helps). The population is roughly 38,943,000 while 22% of the population is urbanized. The largest city, which is also the capital, is Nairobi with a population of 3,363,000 (this is the closest city to NEGST/school). The official national language is English while Swahili comes in at close second.

Now regards to ministry within Kenya, the country is roughly 78% Christian, 11% ethnic religions, 8% Muslim, and .3% Hindu. Contrary to what some might believe, Protestants outnumber Roman Catholics 33.8% to 26.5%. The 78% Christian adherents might seem surprising to some; however there must be an understanding of the ethnic diversity in order to properly understand the situation.

According to the Joshua Project there are still 35 unreached people groups in Kenya (there are 112 people groups total). "An unreached people are a people group among which there is no indigenous community of believing Christians with adequate numbers and resources to evangelize this people group" (Joshua Project). There are some that suggest that the percentage of a population needed to be influenced to impact the whole groups is 2% Christian. The majority of the 35% unreached people groups are Muslims. One of those Muslim people groups are the Digo people who I hope to ministry amongst (more info to come).

Hopefully the statistics and facts help you understanding the situation. Next time I'll try not to use so many numbers, I know some people will be thankful. Please save this link and come back every so often. I will try to write two new post a month.

Godspeed,

Aaron

Please continue to pray for my student visa. Right now it's a waiting game with the Kenyan government, the visa could be accepted tomorrow or a month from now (I would prefer tomorrow : )

I also forgot to mention when I will be leaving for Kenya. I leave on Tuesday the 25th of August and I will arrive in Kenya on the 27th. Please keep me in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment