Once the women welcome everyone to their home, there are introductions and then, as all African’s must do, they feed the guest. After a while, Dama’s negotiator asks why we are there. Numerous proverbs are spoken back and forth between the negotiators until they ask me directly, why I am there. There are only two times I am allowed to speak, when they ask me why I am there and to identify Damaris.
After I say I am there for Damaris Wambui they bring out groups of women/girls for me to choose from. The whole day is filled with drama and humor. The first group of women include little children and then they bring out old women, and ask me if I can recognize Dama. The final group is not as humorous as the girls are disguised from head to toe. There are consequences if I choose the wrong girl; as Dama’s negotiator said in a stern voice “You will be heavily fined if you choose the wrong one!” Thankfully I choose the right one!
Later, the dowry negotiation took place and Dama’s family accepted the amount and gave the go ahead for the wedding. Here are some of the photos from the day. I hope you enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment