Sunday, October 11, 2009

How can they respond if they are not told?

During my visit with Lindy we were able to visit a Vineyard Church in Nairobi. The picture (right) shows me outside the church. I am finding that churches in Kenya never look the same. The church building might be made out of mud, wood, bricks, aluminum, canvas, etc., you just never know. It’s interesting to see how determined they are to have a place to meet.
Besides observing the church building, I was able to meet with Noah, a leader of Vineyard missions in Kenya. Lindy, Pastor Dickson, and I were interested in what the vision and goal of Vineyard mission might entail in Kenya. I was surprised to find out that there are close to fifty Vineyard churches in Kenya. Noah explained how they plan to plant 4-5 new churches Kenya every year. This is truly an incredible growth rate, especially within a country of only thirty million. As the discussion continued, I decided to ask a question I have asked several pastors in Kenya. The question is simple, “how are you engaging the Muslim population in Kenya?” In this context I asked “how many of the 4-5 churches are you planting in Muslim areas?” Noah’s answer was simple, “none, we currently don’t have a goal of planting churches in Muslims areas.” Sadly, I wasn’t surprised by his response, I had heard it before. I guess the 7% Muslim population in Kenya isn’t high enough to address.

Then I was thinking maybe Kenyan Christians are following the lead of American Christians. Did you know only 6% of USA missionary effort (missionaries, finances, etc.) goes towards reaching Muslims? This would mean only 6% of missionary effort goes into reaching roughly 70% of unreached or unengaged people of the world. Yeah I’m thinking Kenyans are following America’s lead. I also keep thinking of Romans 10:14 and wonder if Christians are missing something important.

“How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?
Please continue to pray for my connection and interaction with Noah. He’s invited me to a strategic planning conference/meeting the 26 of November; pray that the leadership will catch a vision for reaching the lost.

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment